Zinc in society
Zinc is a versatile material that plays a vital role in modern society. It is an essential nutrient in human health and when added to fertilisers, increases crop yield and quality. No other material can provide such efficient and cost-effective protection for steel than zinc coating. The industries that most use zinc are construction and transport and the manufacture of consumer goods and electrical appliances. It goes into things that we take for granted everyday:
- roofs, gutters, down-pipes and fences on houses
- the bodies of the cars we drive
- batteries for toys, calculators, watches as well as electric powered vehicles
- fertilisers to help our gardens grow
- vitamin supplements for better health
Zinc can be recycled infinitely without loss of properties or quality. It plays a vital role in the future of a sustainable world.